Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 5: We Suffer. We Survive. We Speak.

I told my friend that brought me dinner Sunday night about the Help-Portrait project and how I was looking for that one special person to pamper and photograph. She said she had just the right person. I prayed about it and the next morning I woke up thinking about this woman. So I started planning the day. I went non-stop until midnight, full of energy, and got pretty much the whole day planned. We are ALL so excited!

Her name is Tracie Shelby. She was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. I just found out while talking to her today that she is the Susan G. Komen Survivor of the Year! You can read her story at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tracieshelby I’m waiting until Saturday to hear her story from her.

We are going to start the day getting her a manicure and pedicure. We will then share our stories with each other. After that she will get a facial, hair and make-up done, and then I’ll do a photoshoot to show off her internal and external beauty. After we are done she will relax again for a massage. We will wrap up the day eating some yummy food, singing some songs by the Christmas tree and celebrating. We will celebrate our God, our stories, each other, and Stacie for bringing us all together by letting us show how loved and beautiful she is.

Stacie asked what she can do to help and I told her that a lot of people pampering her on Saturday have suffered and are still suffering from illnesses, past tragedies, and losses. Giving us the opportunity to love her and hear her story and share our own stories is doing so much for us. We are all so blessed to have this opportunity.

Our world is not hearing enough from the ones who are suffering. They need to hear the REAL story. Not only that, the ones suffering don't need to just feel like another "victim", they need to feel truely cared for, loved, and protected. This is why I LOVE the concept of Help-Portriat. I love that they are showing these people how special they really are and also giving them an opportunity to share their story, even if it's just to the people photographing them. A story that will be passed on and passed on.

We suffer. We survive. We speak.

We have some videographers documenting this day so stay tuned for a very powerful video where the scars tell the REAL story, the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment